I spend a lot of time window-shopping on the internet, and quite often I stumble across products that are so weird and ridiculous that they’re appealing, I would totally buy them. This is one of those products.
This week, KFC announced the release of two limited edition nail polishes that are bringing their ‘finger lickin good’ slogan to life. There’s two different colours/flavours; a tanned, nude colour – Original Recipe – and a bright orange – Hot & Spicy.
According to AdWeek, KFC teamed up with Ogilvy & Mather (the company behind KFC’s infamous 11secret herbs and spices) and food technologists at McCormick to create the nail polishes for KFC Hong Kong. Here’s the official statement:
In line with its spirit of innovation, KFC Hong Kong unveils their new ‘Finger Lickin’ Good Edible Nail Polish’ range, keeping the brand literally at their customers’ fingertips while savoring their delicious signature chicken.
This limited edition edible nail polish was created as a tribute to the world famous “It’s Finger Lickin’ Good” slogan.
KFC’s signature flavors – Original Recipe and Hot & Spicy – have been carefully formulated from natural ingredients into edible nail polish and packaged in a stylish glass bottle and minimal box with over gloss details to appeal to young consumers’ love of food and fashion. Simply apply and dry like regular nail polish and then lick – again and again and again to taste why the world’s favourite chicken is Finger Lickin’ Good.
At the moment, the product isn’t being massed produced. Consumers in Hong Kong are invited to choose which flavour should go mainstream. Imagine seeing one of these stylish little bottles on shelves next to brands like O.P.I and Chanel…
They’ve even made this weird commercial that doesn’t really explain the product or the voting campaign at all…
The colours are quite nice and pretty versatile when it comes to matching them to your outfit. But I just… I don’t know how to react…
I have so many unanswered questions about how this mysterious polish:
- Is it clumpy?
- If you keep licking it excessively, would the colour start to get thinner and thinner?
- Does it chip as quickly as regular nail polish?
- Can this replace an actual meal?
- Why didn’t they make a polish for popcorn chicken?
- Is it healthier than eating actual KFC chicken?
- Will dogs want to lick my fingers when I go to pat them?
- If I paint the polish on other things will they smell like chicken too?
- Can I cook with it?
- Is there a matching lipstick?
- If I went to buy it in a store, would it be in the food section or the beauty department?
- Is this product valid with a KFC employee’s discount?
do they even have a discount
- Will licking it make me as thirsty as actual KFC chicken does?
- If I paint it on KFC chicken, will it be twice as flavoured?
- If I paint it on regular chicken from the supermarket, will it magically taste like KFC chicken?
- If I paint it on my vegetables will they taste like KFC chicken too?
- Is this a giant prank and we are all going to get chemical poison and die?
It’s certainly an innovative and risky marketing technique. I suppose only time will tell if we’ll see this accessory on the runway.